Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Winter, how I hate thee!

I've been living in Canada all my life, so you'd think I'd be used to the terrible winters by now. However, even after 23 years, I can truthfully say that they still suck. This winter has been particularly strange. It seemed to take forever to get here... the first week or so of December was still in the balmy 10-degree range (that's Celsius, in case there are any american readers out there), but when the first real snow arrived, the temperature dropped 20 degrees overnight. It literally went from fall to winter in one day. No gentle, gradual slope for us!



We're currently going through a deep freeze here in Toronto, which is strange since we had a small thaw at the beginning of the week, with temperatures going up above zero (and environmentalists running around saying "look look! proof of global warming!"). The high today is -15 or something ridiculous like that.

At least Toronto is warmer than Quebec, where I spent the first 22 years of my life. Torontonians call a foot of snow a lot, while in my hometown, if there were that much snow, we'd wonder when winter was actually starting. When I was home for the holidays, I took a few pictures of the winter "wonderland". It's quite lovely to look at... just not to live in.













Seriously... would you be able to tell the difference if these were shot in black and white? I'm seriously considering moving to southern California... or Barbados.

3 comments:

  1. If you moved to those places you'd have to deal with mudslides, earthquakes, fires, and hurricanes. At least snow doesn't actively try to kill you or destroy your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're done your degree, I suggest you start looking for work closer to the equator. I'll join you & set up a practice there as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but it's so beautiful, how could you hate a scene like this?! Though it's not nearly so bad here, I do love a snowy winter...

    ReplyDelete