Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Christmas presents, part 3

And now for the final installment of the Christmas knitting! (Well, I still have the boyfriend's present to show, but I haven't given that to him yet.) Also, this is my hundredth post! Woo! These two gifts were for my friend Em and Stevie's baby niece.

First, Em's present: a cake! I used Hannah Kaminsky's pattern Let Them Knit Cake. However, instead of a birthday candle, I decided to make a black forest cake with a ginormous cherry. For the cherry, I used the Cherries are da Bomb pattern by Marcie Nishioka.





I really like how it turned out. The icing looks almost good enough to eat, and the jam filling looks like its ready to squirt out from between the pieces of cake. I mean, it's obviously made of yarn, but if you squint, you might just think it's real!





Second, the baby's present: little booties! I used the One-Hour Baby Booties from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation. True to the title, they took me very little time. I'm not sure if it was an hour, but it certainly was less than an evening.



I used what I thought would be the tail-end of the James C. Brett Marble Chunky that I used to make my Cloud Bolero and slouchy hat, but it turns out I still have enough left over to make another pair! This pattern really takes barely any yarn!



Unfortunately, I probably made them a little too small for the baby. She's about 5 months old now, and her feet were just about popping out of the little slippers when she tried them on a month ago. Oh well... it was a fast pattern, and they're still super cute!

Next time, I think I'll talk about some retro crochet books I got over the holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I seriously love what you did with my cake slice pattern! You definitely win the award for most creative (and skillfully made) modifications! :)

    ReplyDelete