Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

And they called me crazy...

Over the last week or so, we've had absolutely gorgeous weather... Like, sunny, go-outside-in-a-tshirt gorgeous. And then yesterday, it snowed. Just a little bit, but enough to tell us that summer hasn't actually arrived. And what does this have to do with my mental state, you ask?

I just finished knitting a neckwarmer from that gorgeous yarn I picked up at the Creativ Festival last fall. Of course, everyone was all like, "Why are you making a super warm and amazingly soft neckwarmer when winter's already over?" And I was all like, "Oh, you'll see!" And of course, winter came back. So there... not crazy.

Anyway, my new gorgeous neckwarmer is amazingly warm and soft, and it cuts the wind like nothing else. Just having this little piece of fabric around my neck has made the difference between me being a shivering mess and toasty warm. Alpaca, in case I had any remaining doubts in my mind, is definitely my favourite fiber. Or at least merino, alpaca and silk blends... Here are the pics!







Aw yeah... just look at the fuzziness! You don't even notice the spot where I accidentally cut the fabric after removing a button when I realized it was on the wrong side... I mean... what mistake? (Ouf, talk about heart attack and a half!)

Currently on the needles is something equally unseasonable, a wool cabled sweater. This thing has been in my queue forever... and I've had the yarn from before I got my swift, in fact, I think it was last August! And since I bought that yarn specifically for this project... that's a long time for it to be in my queue. Right. So, the pattern is the Cable Luxe tunic by Lion Brand. I'm more than half done the yoke cable, and then I've just got to knit the rest of the sweater... Here's a detail of the cable pattern:



Ain't it perdy? I made a mistake in the first pattern repeat, and of course didn't notice it until I was finished the second pattern repeat, but I think I'll leave it there since the thing is seamed in the back. I think I'll also work the body and sleeves in the round instead of flat because I really really don't like seaming. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out...

4 comments:

  1. Very purty indeed! It snowed here too, yesterday, but the forecast high today is 7°, so maybe we'll get summer after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous neck warmer, it looks very soft and cuddly!

    I have been wanting to make that cabled tunic, too, very purty indeed! (and I don't call them mistakes....I call them 'design elements') ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete