Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Pesto

For as long as I can remember, my mom has always grown her own basil to make pesto.



At the end of summer, when the basil plants had developed to their full potential, Mom would go in with the secateurs and cut down the tall stalks, leaving only the bottom leaves to grow into a second crop. Then began the lengthy process of plucking all the leaves off the stalks.



She would have the food processor going all day, combining the fresh basil leaves with parsley, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan and olive oil (using Molly Katzen's Moosewood recipe) to make this gorgeous stuff.



Every year, she gets quite a lot of pesto out of it.



This year, when I was visiting home at the end of August, I helped out a bit, but even when I don't, I still try to take some home with me. The boyfriend and I put some in almost everything... including this gorgeous homemade pasta with mushrooms and spicy seasonal vegetables:



So Ma, we've just run out... time for a care package?

No comments:

Post a Comment