Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Summer dying

Well, fall is definitely upon us. I can no longer get away with wearing my flip-flops without freezing my tootsies off, I have had the requisite seasonal cold, and the leaves are starting to turn shades of crimson and gold. Fall is a beautiful time of year (and it does mean pulling out the woollens!), but I do miss summer already. I thrive in the heat and sunlight, what can I say?

And this summer has been a particularly good one for me in terms of improving myself and learning new skills. I learned to run, I lost almost 30 lbs, and in the craftier department, I learned how to hand-dye yarn! This was several months ago, but I thought it would be worth sharing the process with you all.

First, we soaked the roving...


We used Dharma Acid Dyes, which were what Joanna had on hand. They worked quite well, I thought, though one of them ended up being grainy when mixed with vinegar and water.


Of course, all the special squirt bottles had to be labelled, since they weren't going to be used for anything else (at the risk of poisoning someone). We put a little vinegar in the bottle and then a bit of the dye we were going to use.


And then I went to town! Next time I'd probably try to saturate the roving a bit more with dye, but I'm pretty happy with my colour choices.


The final result was amazing. Here it is getting a rinse:


And then hanging out to dry:


Joanna also came up with a pretty colour combination:


And remember that yarn I tried to dye with Kool-Aid over a year ago? Into the pot it goes!


It came out a lovely shade of emerald green that I much prefer to the robin's egg blue it was before:


We tried many more things, and this was the final haul of the day. So many colours!


And now some glamour shots:


2 comments: